The Evan Gordon Memorial Internship & Scholarship was established by Kinetico Incorporated to support a minority student who is pursuing a career in Electrical / Electronics Engineering or IoT field to gain real-life experience through an internship and receive a monetary award toward his/her educational expenses.
Evan Gordon was a beloved employee of Kinetico where he spent the last few years of his life working in Research & Development as a Project Engineer to help create and launch new and innovative products in the water treatment industry. Having come from a diverse and culturally rich background, Evan was keen on sharing his life experience and deep knowledge of all things electrical with others. What became the hallmark of Evan’s character was his commitment to approaching daily life with a positive attitude and encouraging others to do the same. When asked about his vision for the company, Evan’s hope was to see a more diverse group of engineers being mentored so that the legacy of innovation and product development that Kinetico has come to be known for could continue to be carried forward by future generations.
This internship and scholarship opportunity will be awarded annually to one applicant for the next five (5) years in Evan Gordon’s honor.
This opportunity is intended to increase participation of racial or ethnic minority groups who are underrepresented in the field of Engineering. Kinetico does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, citizenship status, genetic information or any other protected class status.
- Paid summer internship at Kinetico corporate headquarters in Newbury, OH
- $2,500 scholarship award upon completion of internship
- Applicant must be a student pursuing a career in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or Internet of Things (IoT) field, including but not limited to those of African American, Latino/Hispanic, Native American or Pacific Islander descent
- Applicant must be enrolled in or have graduated from an institution for higher education accredited by the Sate of Ohio
- Applicant for the 2021 award will need to be entering his/her Junior or Senior year of college in the Fall of 2021 or have recently graduated from a two-year college program with the intent to continue in the field of engineering
- Applicant must have a college GPA of 3.0 or better
- Applicant must be able to prove eligibility to work in the United States, as the internship will be in Newbury, OH
Applicant must submit the following items to Kinetico at JoinOurTeam@kinetico.com with the subject line “2021 Evan Gordon Memorial Internship & Scholarship Application” no later than February 28, 2021:
- Completed application form
- Typed essay in which the following questions are answered (200-250 words per question):
- What is the most difficult challenge you have ever faced? How did you handle it?
- What will your industry of interest look like in ten years?
- What do you think our country should do to foster unity and social equality?
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from choice of teachers, professors, administrators, counselors, and employers. The letter should speak to the character, integrity and/or uniqueness of the student.
- Official college transcript
Submissions will be reviewed by our staff in early March and finalists will be interviewed virtually by the selection committee soon after. A winner will be selected and announced by March 26, 2021.